Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Busby Scan

On Wednesday, October 22, 2003, at 12:07 PM, Steven Mills wrote:
> I thought there was a scanning project in progress?
>
> http://www.busbys.hpg.ig.com.br/busbys/toc.htm
>
> The progress has slowed a bit. I assumed he was pooped-out from
> all that scanning or his scanner gave up the ghost. [ that's quite a
> task]
>
> Perhaps we could all chip in our time and help out a bit. I could scan
> few chapters. For the sake of consistency set a standard for scanning
> resolution and type of file [ ie. jpeg, bmp, tif, or gif...etc. ]

I'm a pathetically low-tech guy -- I just don't keep up with current
technology beyond what's on my desk. But isn't there a way to do this
once and for all, in a less labor-intensive way? Aren't there
professional, volume, business-grade photocopiers that can also
digitally scan? Is there somebody with an extra, perhaps battered Busby
who'd be willing to unbind it? Couldn't it then be automatically fed as
sheets, page after page, through this fantasy copier which would scan
both sides, and save them as PDF's?

The thought of all that laying 700+page hardcover on a scanner bed, and
pressing it flat to minimize the warping of the inner edge of the page,
makes me weary just thinking it.

As a mostly-lurker, I would otherwise be happy to contribute by taking
part in this project -- I honestly just don't have access to useful
technology to do a good job. Really. I think there isn't even a Kinko's
within 100 miles of me.