Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Busby scan (Was: Feet wet?)

Does Acrobat contain OCR?  There web site as per the link that someone else
put up here seems to state that.

To "create searchable text from scans" seems to imply that?

Jay.

                      Jari Siikarla
                      <jari.siikarla@vertex.fi>         To:       personal_submersibles@psubs.org
                      Sent by:                          cc:
                      owner-personal_submersible        Subject:  [PSUBS-MAILIST] Busby scan (Was: Feet wet?)
                      s@psubs.org

                      23/10/2003 12:21 AM
                      Please respond to
                      personal_submersibles

At 18:29 22.10.2003 -0600, you wrote:
>Oh, that sounds great!!!!  I thought that you would get a scanned picture
>of text, not actually searchable words.

I agree that the best way would be to scan the book.
OCR it to text and compile it to PDF.
That way the text is text and not picture, so you
can search in it and it uses a lot less space.

PDF is widely accepted and used when you need
keep the layout. PDF can be converted to other formats
quite easily with abundant programs in the internet
(Postscript, html, etc.)
Most printer accept or even prefer PDF when submitting
print jobs.

The most laborous part is the scanning. If the Busby's is
allready in sheet format, you can find a copy shop or printer
with scanner that can scan them all automatically (like
fotocopiers do). I was under the impression that the photocopy
version of Busby's wasn't very good quality.

This method can still be used for text if it is readable
(you need more proofreading), but pictures (or pages with them)
should be scanned separately for the book.

I'm willing and able to OCR and compile the PDF from scans.
(in any format, but gif is (still) pretty good for b/w pics. Jpg is
lossy format so you lose some info.)

Jari Siikarla

--
Jari Siikarla