Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] New to PSUB (measurement units)

In a message dated 10/21/03 11:09:59 AM Pacific Daylight Time, buchner@wcta.net writes:
for people who use math
and measurement all the time, a system of units constitutes almost a
language -- and expecting somebody to change their system just because
"everyone else is using this other one," is equivalent (in a sense) to
insisting that everybody should ditch the language they grew up with,
and switch to Esperanto.
Math *is* a language of sorts with its own rules of "grammar and syntax" ... something many sci-fi authors (re: first contact theme) have postulated for decades.  Units of measurement equate more to a dialect than totally different languages.  I wouldn't advocate or expect anyone to change to a system they're not comfortable with.  However, on a purely academic note, I do think that metric is more intuitive to work with (even if you weren't raised with it [raising hand]), that it would be *easier* if everyone spoke the same dialect, and that global marketing pressure will eventually bring it about.

Warm Regards
Shawn

*****

"To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour."

-- Auguries of Innocence, William Blake, ca 1803