Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] wet sub design

Hello Mike

I think that hull will do fine, but I can think of some problems you'll have to work around if you have not done so already.  A hull with a smaller cross section would go faster.  Mine sweeper hulls seem to be a favorite.  The less water you have to push out of the way the better it is for speed.  Trolling motors with their standard props will only do about 3 knots.  You can use props with greater pitch, but that may overload and burn out the motors.  Multiple motors that can be controlled separately and will give you better maneuverability but you have to maintain 4 motors and 4 speed controllers.  Consider using one or two motors and using dive plans and fins for direction control.  These can also achieve the banking turns when used like ailerons on an airplane.  If your ballast does not move around then when you stop or release the controls the craft would naturally reestablish an level plane.  Here are a few links you might want to look at:

http://www.psubs.org/pic/minesweep.html
http://www.bionicdolphin.com/index.html
http://foxxaero.homestead.com/indrad_064.html
http://www.deepflight.com/
http://www.nauticalniche.com/undersea/integrityaquaglider.htm
http://www.nauticalniche.com/undersea/reefranger.htm
http://www.odyssea-sub.com/
http://www.psubs.org/pic/wet.html
http://www.diveironeagle.com/hydrospeeders.htm

Best wishes and keep us appraised of your work.  --Doug Jackson