Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] re-designed Esmae

Brian and all,

Your design gives me an idea that ties in to the "escape & rescue" topic.

Instead of being a propelled-submersible, it can be configured as a
snorkel that has a gas generator and air pump on the vertical end that
would be above the surface.  It would also be large enough to carry
other equipment including hoses [ attached thru ports below ] to provide
air for the disabled sub and the rescue sub if needed and if the rescue
operation takes longer than expected.  Since it doesn't have propulsors,
it
would be towed out along with surface craft.  It could also pump air into
bags that could help lift the disabled sub.  There would be enough fuel
for continuous operation for a period of time, if more fuel is needed
then
the surface craft could shuttle for more fuel while the snokel is still
running
on reserves providing air for both subs [ and divers? ].

I suppose this would be classed more as a buoy, but it could be ballasted
to submerge in case the disabled sub is deeper. The air could be pumped
into holding tanks while at surface and then submerged to the sub and
rescue sub.

Is this practical?  Probably too complex?  Oh well, it's late, my brain
threatens
to abandon me for needed sleep.

signing off, --Steve