Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] New to PSUB

In a message dated 10/19/03 10:24:07 AM Pacific Daylight Time, cirtemoeg@juno.com writes:
One of the major reasons is part of the industry here still uses this
system of measurement, specifically  architecture and construction.
Houses are still measured in inches and feet. Part of my work was
in architectural [ and mechanical ] drafting/design. The automotive
industry, too, uses both systems of measurement.  I have to keep
2 sets of tools, one in "standard" [as it is so called] and one in
metric.

As far as my mindset or preference goes, it doesn't matter which system
I use, I can switch between the 2 without any problem or prejudice.
Agreed.  From an engineering calculations standpoint, I prefer using metric though conceptually I have to convert it back to inches, feet, pounds (or more accurately "slugs").  The numbers and units just crunch easier in metric.  From a practical standpoint, sometimes you just don't have that option.  The best available choice for a pressure hull might be in inches but the viewport you choose for price, availability, etc., might be in centimeters.  Converting is easy and the answers still come out the same no matter what system you use, so I'd recommend you go with whatever system is most comfortable and intuitive for *you*, if for no other reason than you're more likely to catch a calculation error.  In my case, the CAD, solid modeling, and finite element software doesn't care and switches back and forth for me ... gotta love technology. :)

Warm Regards
Shawn
*****

"To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour."

-- Auguries of Innocence, William Blake, ca 1803