Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] escape & rescue

Hi Doug,

I'll tell you what I know:

I can't speak specifically about the drift net problem, however, based on the
experiences of a neighbor of mine sailing from San Francisco to Hawaii,
abandoned nets seem to be a huge problem. I wonder how all the commercial boats
are dealing with all these nets that must be clogging their props.

The policies of the Coast Guard in recent times has been to defer to private
towing companies when you are NOT in imminent danger. If lives are threatened or
a vessel is in imminent danger, they will dispatch resources for search and
rescue. I haven't heard anything about them not conducting search and rescue
missions post 9-11.

A better question to pose is this. Are they equipped to rescue submerged
vessels. I don't know that their usual resources of helicopters, 41 foot
vessels, and large cutters are prepared to assist in underwater search and rescue.

Regards,
JP

Quoting SeaLordOne@aol.com: