Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Back to surface propulsion (generators)

Yes, batteries in series increases voltage, parallel increases available current. You caught me sleeping!!
  bob duncan

john m <powercap2000@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi, I'm new to this list,
but this is at least something I know about
so I'll comment:
I noticed a couple of points made in the thread
about 12/24 etc that need correcting.
1. Adding batteries in series increases the voltage,
not the current (that would be a parallel connection).
However putting 24V across a resistance that was
designed for 12 will sure cause it to draw more
current, perhaps too much. I've done it with weak
starters on high-comp. engines in the winter.
The manufacturers went from 6V to 12V electrics
generally in the 50s because the starters would draw
much less current for a given load.

2. An alternator is generally much more efficient than
the old generators for developing power. They are 3
phase and work better than the old generators at lower
speeds.

3. A 12V alternator can (depending on its particular
regulator config) give you any voltage you want, up to
120V. Not at 60Hz necessarily, but if you spin them
fast enough and play with the external regulator
circuit, they will give you a few hundred watts at any
voltage within reason you choose. Some now have
internal regulators, and you'd have to open them up
and screw with them.

Cheers,
John