Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: diving boats

In a message dated 10/13/03 8:03:52 AM Pacific Daylight Time, buchner@wcta.net writes:
> I wonder if we might profitably consider a Chariot that
> cruises along the surface, dipping under for a minute or
> so?  No scuba would be required.   Conceptually, it's a
> PWC that submerges.

I think we've discussed this before, in a general way. It's an idea I
have in the back of my mind all the time. Something positively-buoyant,
with serious thrust and good-sized dive planes. Since most water around
here isn't all that clear anyway, it would be a way to get the sneaky,
unexpected aspect of a submersible with a certain amount less
complexity. Also lighter, streamlined, quick.
Sounds very similar to the Bionic Dolphin concept.  The one concern that plagues me is how to avoid submerged objects at speed ... forward scanning sonar?

Warm Regards,
Shawn

*****

"To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour."

-- Auguries of Innocence, William Blake, ca 1803