[PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: diving boats

On Sunday, October 12, 2003, at 10:08 AM, Michael B Holt wrote:
> She and her husband spit, and he got the boke.

Ain't that always the way... (???)

> when I showed
> her the drawings of a Chariot, she perked up and grinned at me

Hmm, I'll have to try that at home... Where can I see these drawrings?

> I've been sitting here thinking about the idea of a six-foot
> "Water Bug."

Holy cow, man! Have you seen the toy? You'd get sooo sick... if you
could even hold on! Extreme sports.

> I wonder if we might profitably consider a Chariot that
> cruises along the surface, dipping under for a minute or
> so?  No scuba would be required.   Conceptually, it's a
> PWC that submerges.

I think we've discussed this before, in a general way. It's an idea I
have in the back of my mind all the time. Something positively-buoyant,
with serious thrust and good-sized dive planes. Since most water around
here isn't all that clear anyway, it would be a way to get the sneaky,
unexpected aspect of a submersible with a certain amount less
complexity. Also lighter, streamlined, quick.

> No, I have no idea how to keep from being run over by
> curious, enthusiastic or stupid boaters.   That's a problem
> we have whenever we submerge within sight of others.

Curious, enthusiastic, AND stupid. Also drunk. And renting a boat.
Hell, I worry about that kind of incident when I'm *snorkeling* - at
least with the boat I'd have some cushioning and head protection. I'm
lucky though, in that I live in an area with enough lakes that one can
usually find a secluded spot.

> Most kids seem to be happy with video games, though.

Yeah, so they've got that going for 'em...