Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] FYI: For the toy sub collectors

On Monday, September 29, 2003, at 03:35 PM, Steven Mills wrote:
>> I mentioned the "Water Bug" spinny random-swimming thing at WalMart,
> Hmmm, will have to check this out.

Oh, yes. It's pretty neat, but it needs a confined space to operate or
you'll lose it. Wacky hot tub sport. I'd love to build a 6-feet-long
version: it would be utterly terrifying!

Look in the pool toys area. I also found them at Mills Fleet Farm, but
that's more  of a regional thing. $3 or something like that.

[American Science & Surplus]
> Did you read the ad blurb for it?  Here's the first sentence:
> "Destroy enemy coral reefs!"
> [ whoever wrote this is a riot. I put the rest of the text at the
> bottom]

Yeah, they seem like a pretty cool outfit. I read the history of the
business on their site -- the founder would have been a cool guy to
know, I think. I also think I'll start looking for all my gift-buying
needs there. Nobody ever thought of it for me, but wouldn't it be cool,
as a kid, to receive a big box of motors, switches, etc. -- a
practically endless supply to build stuff from?

> I believe toy and model subs are quite appropriate.  It's been brought
> up
> more than a few times by others. After all, space and the final
> frontiers
> aren't under the sea or in the cosmos, it's the space between your ears
> and the imagination that fills it and pSubs is a fine example of people
> who had toys and built models and turned imagination into reality.
> Perhaps there's a kid[s] lurking on the forum soaking up all the
> knowledge
> presented here and one day step in with a good question or good idea.

That's a lovely thought; thanks for it. *Somebody* has to exert some
positive influence the next generations: steer them towards something
besides eternal, mindless, passive Brave-New-World-ish amusement.

Also, toy subs are an essential release from those of us who don't have
a full-scale one yet -- and for those who do, in the off-season!