[PSUBS-MAILIST] Fw: OT: FYI: WANTED: LEGO Mindstorms Educators

Not exactly TI or Labview, but maybe a way to get some of your
kids, nephews, nieces, scouts...etc., started in designing/building subs
and practical programming.

> WANTED: Lego Mindstorms Educators
>
> Are you an educator using Lego Mindstorms Robotics?  Would you like to
> participate in a global online pilot project using Lego Mindstorms?
>
> Wichita State University's (WSU) College of Education Robotics Team is
looking
> for a small group of educators who are interested in piloting a global
> collaborative project using the Internet and Lego Mindstorms Robotics.
This
> pilot project will involve K-20 educators, but is designed to be
replicated with
> students in a 4th grade or higher classroom setting.
>
> Participants must have an Internet connection and Lego Mindstorms
Robotics
> equipment.
>
> To read about WSU's Robotics Project visit our website:
> http://education.wichita.edu/mindstorms
>
> To apply to participate in this pilot project, go to:
> http://education.wichita.edu/mindstorms/global
> --

Here's an example:

http://www.weeklyscientist.com/articles/studentsubs.htm

..................... snip-quote.....................

"Those computer brains range from top line Intel Pentium processors to
last year's winner, "two Lego Mindstorm bricks," said Northrop-Grumman
business development director Bill McGuinness. Lego's Mindstorm products
include small microprocessors Lego lovers use to build toy robots.

The University of Rhode Island team "proved that simplicity often wins"
when they used the microprocessor brick in the Prowler 1, McGuinness
said. With most entries costing just under $10,000 and requiring endless
hours of student labor from teams 8-20 members in size, "the AUV
competition is designed to bring attention to a little-known industry
that is growing at a phenomenal rate -- the unmanned vehicle industry,"
said Daryl Davidson, the executive director of the 2,000 member
Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International, or AUVSI. "

--Steve