Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] OSS viewports

Remember, ABS is a government beauracracy charged with the public safety and ass-covering in approximately equeal doses. Official recommendations to the contrary, the Nekton viewports have served admirably for many years. I would remind you that Delta and the three Nektons have collectively made something approaching 10,000 dives over the past three decades. 10,000!!!!! and many of those to maximum operating depths of 1000 to 1100 feet. That's success, brother, whatever your position on the subject.

The mounting flanges are welded and machined in place, and the viewports themselves landed on cork or urethane gaskets. I'm sure they use a touch of the old Room Temperature Vulcanizing goop for a sealant. No o-rings to hold water and rust, no finicky high-end machine work needed, no expensive truncated acrylic cones to machine and anneal.

So what was the downside to this again? Bean counters in Washington? Hmmm. Which is more valuable? Engineering or practical experience and application? Or, as is the case in the Nexton ports --- both!!!

Best Regards,
Vance