Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] launch ramp

Emil,

Back in the 80's, Carsten and I both independently decided to use a
"tricycle trailer".  It works well on ramps of all lengths, angles, and
depths.

It was simple to make.  All I did was weld a 2-foot length of 3" I.D. pipe
perpendicularly on the tongue of my trailer; and weld an 8" length of 3"
O.D. pipe to the center of an automobile wheel.  The wheel slides onto the
pipe "axle" and is held in place by a 1" sleeve of 3" O.D. pipe with a large
cotter pin through it.  It can be installed or removed very easily.

With this "tricycle trailer" connected to the towing vehicle by a 50-foot
length of steel cable, it is easy to lower the sub to any point on the ramp
for launching without getting the truck wet.  The "third wheel" and cable
can be easily removed and stored for transport.

But you still need to know where the end of the ramp is.  Walk it first, or
put on your mask and fins and make a dive.  Once we knew where the end of
our ramp was, and we measured how long the distance was from our towing
vehicle to the main wheels of the trailer, we put a concrete "hollow tile"
block on the ramp as a chock so the towing vehicle could not roll beyond the
critical point.  Worked fine.

You can see a short video clip of this system in operation at:

http://www.phys.uu.nl/~gdevries/nautilus/nautilus.html

Once there, click on the link that says MOVIE and wait for it to download.
Your computer will need something like Windows Media Player to play the
clip.

Pat