Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] launch ramp

----- Original Message -----
From: Gary R. Boucher
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2003 11:06 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] launch ramp

I have some experience with this.  A small sub must be placed far back on most ramps to get enough draft to float it off, if that is your method of launching.  The problem is simple; you can not usually do this with a standard trailer.  I constructed a 10-foot detachable tongue on my trailer that I built.  This was not enough for a sub of my size.  So, I finally resorted to taking a 10,000 pound test nylon strap and creating a fitting on the truck hitch and the tongue of the trailer to lower it back via strap.  This worked very well, but you still have to have a location where the trailer can go that far down a submerged ramp.  Many ramps just terminate at a level that where the wheels will get caught and you can not pull it out.  You may need to walk the ramp before launching.

The alternative is to create a winch where you can roll it off and roll it back on by winch.  Also a strong wenche may be used.  :-)

Gary Boucher