Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Blue-green laser (was: Empress of Ireland)

I have been thinking about this for a few months.  the
scanning laser can be built with off the shelf components
i was thinking about using 2 rotating mirrors 2 CCD color
camera and a blue laser diode the 2 cameras would be
stationary a known distance apart and the laser scanner
assembly would be located in between them.
     Camera     laser-scanner    Camera

The scanner would have the first mirror spinning at high
speed for horizontal scanning the second mirror the
vertical scanner would spin at a speed so that the first
mirror can make a full scan before the second mirror can
make a small advance this would give a raster effect like
a TV. using timing based off sync off the laser a computer
or even a small micro-controller could calculate the
distance from the CCD to the laser mark on the ground the
major problem is that the scanning is based on the  CCD
camera speed.
the second camera is for the second half of the scan
and if wanted the 2 images could be overlaid a making the
math a lot simpler.  A black and white camera could be
used with a color filter to only pick up the laser light

I would also worry about the range and keeping the power
of the laser low as not to blind the local inhabitances.

sorry about the long windiness

Andy Jensen