Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] FEA

Finite Element Analysis.
      A virtual model of an object is "built" in a computer and the program
breaks it down into a finite number (but very large number) of pieces
(elements) which have the applied material properties and interact with
their neighbours.  An operator then applies a load and (mostly pressure in
this case) the program will spit out the stress that each area of the model
in under.
The reality of the answer relies on the way the model is built up, the
correct placement and magnitude of the applied loads by the operator.  You
can get orders of magnitude difference between answers by slightly changing
the applied loads and the method of model construction.

Jay.

                      Tim Reilly
                      <TimR@cclengineering.com>         To:       "'personal_submersibles@psubs.org'" <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
                      Sent by:                          cc:
                      owner-personal_submersible        Subject:  [PSUBS-MAILIST] FEA
                      s@psubs.org

                      20/03/2003 08:53 AM
                      Please respond to
                      personal_submersibles

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is FEA as refered in this message?

Thanks

Tim R.