Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Model Verne Nautilus

>From: Michael B Holt <tlohm@juno.com>
>

> >What scale or size is it?
>
> The final product is about 35 inches long; the real thing was
> 70 meters long.   What scale is that?

An odd scale: approximate = 1:78 ? [ converting meters to feet ]

I used an old dilapitaded photocopy page of formulas from a "Model
Ship" mag:

L1 = Length of actual boat/ship
L2 = Model Length
S = Scale Factor

( L1 x 12 ) / S = L2

L1 = 70m <approx> 229.6 ft. [ 230 ft. approx.]

L2 = 35 in.

L1 X 12 = 2760 IN.

S = 2760 / 35 = 78

1:78 ?

[ could be wrong...I got the flu so factor in my current state of misery ]

> Except for the oval shape to the side windows and the four
> flat windows in the light-house, it's pretty much exactly what
> Verne described or had drawn.
>
> >Check this site when you can:
> >
> > http://jv.gilead.org.il/fpwalter/
> >
> >Nice illustrations.
>
> Will do, later.   What is it?

Here's a partial text copy of the frontpage:

TWENTY THOUSAND LEAGUES UNDER THE SEAS
An Underwater Tour of the World
by
JULES VERNE
Translated from the Original French
by F. P. Walter
With the Paintings of Milo Winter

----
A complete, unabridged translation of Vingt milles lieues sous les mers by
Jules Verne, based on the original French texts published in Paris by J.
Hetzel et Cie. over the period 1869-71.
----
The paintings of Illinois watercolorist Milo Winter (1888-1956) first
appeared in a 1922 juvenile edition published by Rand McNally & Company.
----
Verne's title: The French title of this novel is Vingt mille lieues sous les
mers. This is accurately translated as Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the
SEAS, rather than the SEA, as with many English editions. Verne's novel
features a tour of the major oceans, and the term Leagues in its title is
used as a measure not of depth but distance. FPW.
----

--Steve