Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] 2nd annual psubs convention

Hi Jasp,

I am an ex-Californian. Lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for 37 of
my 42 years. Did my open water certification dives in Monterey Bay. I
am familar with the region.

The problem with having a convention in Monterey, California would be
the same as with the convention in Vancouver, Canada. Vancouver is the
small submerisble hotbed on the West Coast. We thought it ideal for a
PSUBS Convention.

The problem was that there has to be a local guy willing to do the
organizing work. The convention did NOT happen in Vancouver because no
one stepped up to the plate.

As a result it was decided by the PSUBS Staff (Jonathan Wallace and
myself) that we would host the convention yearly on alternating coasts
near where we live. Since close to where we live we would be able to do
the organizational work ourselves. We decided not to rely on others to
maybe pull the convention together but for us to make sure the
convention happens.

The convention in Oregon happened because this is now my home turf and
as such I was familar with the area, able to go preview sites and talk
to people face-to-face as often as necessary. Yes, I had help. David
Walls was a local that was a tremendous help and Greg Snyder was able
to provide remote support.  But the convention happen because a PSUBS
Staff member pushed it to completion.

This year Jonathan is hosting the Convention on the East Coast. Again
to ensure it happens.

In 2004, the convention will be back on the West Coast. Unless you can
make a compelling case for Monterey and convince us you can do the leg
work the convention will be back in the Portland, Oregon area. Take a
look at the http://www.psubs.org/convention/convention1.html page.
Planning started six months ahead and I am still finalizing the aftermath.
Having personal experience I can tell you that only a committed individual
will follow through.

It is far better to make sure the convention happens in a PSUBS Staff
member's backyard then to maybe not have them at more ideal sites.
Plans of Monterey, Florida, or Hawaii await the truely dedicated
PSUBers who can convince the PSUBS Staff that they have the right
stuff.

Regards,
Ray