Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Compass instruments

Carsten,
as far as I recall,the gyro was integrated in the pilots dash pannel,
just forward of the turret. The sub was driven with push bottons from
the turret. The compass was located outside the bow acrylic dome,
so the copilot reading the compass cours to the pilot at pre dive, the
pilot set the gyro. To reset the gyro during dives,at this times
GPS was not in operation,same practice would be applyed, copilot reading the
course to the pilot. We had pingers beacons on the bottom and one pinger
beacon at the sub, and those acustic location devices gave position of the
sub to the topside, the mother ship would tell us via hydrophone our course.
Some times we would drive along a pipeline, were we knew the course it was
layed,and readjusted to that known course or to an anchor chain from an SMB
with the same results. But I remember that we drove the sub during dives in
the oilfields for about 1 to 2 hours before we would readjust the gyro. It
is different if you dive the oil fields, within a known location, and
perform inspection dives on mooring chains and pipelines, pipeline crossings
and under water manifold centers, risers and wellheads.
Go with your gyros and place an master gyro in the lower hull section in the
turret area. A digital compass for references,with the flux unit in the
sail. Most flux compasses for sailing vessels are liquid filled like a
compass, and those are O K outside ths sub. Even the Radar is run in a
liquid filled dome antenna on the outside.