Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Pressure hull

In a message dated 2/13/2003 2:21:13 PM Eastern Standard Time, SFreihof@aol.com writes:

Are you certain that the pressure hulls of Cousteau's saucers are elliptical?  I took pictures of one, and as I remember the pressure hull is spherical.  It has fairings to cover batteries, pumps, etc. which gives the sub an elliptical shape.  Now if I could just find those pictures I took....

Stan
2 man Ambient Dry
Ft. Lauderdale

Definitely elliptical (6.5 ft major diameter, 4.9 feet minor diameter). The Cousteau group designed and built the first 1st Deepstar on the strength of work done by Westinghouse with the SP-350 in California and Mexico. Deepstar 4000 had a spherical hull.
Vance