Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Pressure hull

I too am intrigued by the idea of using boiler endcaps. Does anyone have any
ideas about it's tendency to spin about it's minor axis? In the Cousteau saucer,
because it was horizontal in the water, any tendency to roll about it's center
would mean the sub spun left or right. However, in the vertical design, this
tendency would have you going head over heals.

The Cousteau saucer had jets on it's perimiter, which stabalized it's tendency
to roll side to side. Unless you also thrusted from the top and bottom of the
vertical saucer, you might tend to roll forwards or backwards at times.

I guess have sufficiently low center of gravity is the key. It still seems to me
that you are going to have problems rolling forward and backward, certainly on
the surface, and certainly while not under power.

Anyone care to comment?

Jeff

Quoting Cliff Redus <dr_redus@devtex.net>:

> Thijs,
>
> Even though this hull design is very different from the normal PSUB
> hull, it does have a number of nice features.  It fits well with a
> streamlined FRP outer shell in that it presents a smaller projected area
> to flow relative to other hull shapes that will accommodate a seated
> pilot.  For it displacement, it also has good freeboard and might
> actually make it possible to meet the ABS 2.5 ft (76 cm) minimum
> freeboard rule for a small boat without destroying the hydrodynamic
> lines of the boat.  The viewport locations are great for forward and
> downward viewing. Side viewports could be easily added to improve port
> and starboard visibility  Because all viewports are flat, the cost
> becomes manageable for a PSUB.  Orientation of MBTs are going to take
> some thought in order not to have the CB of the boat to close to the
> bow.  I am not sure I would go with mild steel for hull.  You should be
> able to find off the shelf torispherical endcaps made of a higher yield
> point steel such as A516, Gr 70 or something equivalent without
> significantly impacting the hull cost.  I agree with Alec that it would
> be a good idea to run an FE analysis of the hull including viewports to
> get a better handle on crush depth.  I am not sure the ABS equations to
> calculated hull stress are applicable given such a short cylindrical
> section.
>
> I for one like the hull.
>
> Cliff

Jeff Post

Everything can be inherited except sterility.