From: "Ian Roxborough" <irox@ix.netcom.com>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2003 6:16 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Pressure hull

> Hi Thijs,
>
> this is an interesting design.  I tried working out something similar
> (a two man fish shaped sub), my main conclusion was that an end cap
> sub isn't very scalible for depths.  Going by the ABS standard, if I
> was to double the thickness of the pressure, I got an extra 15 feet
> of usable depth.  The main reason for this is that the main surfaces
> of the sub have a curve radius far larger than the submarine.
>
> Still, even with the depth limitation, it's probablya good design
> if you're not going for a deep diving sub.
>
> Ian.
>
> On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 18:02:15 +0100
> "Thijs Struijs" <thijs-struijs@planet.nl> wrote:
>
> > To all,
> >
> > I would like some reactions on a drawing i made a while ago. You can
find it at:
http://www.prismnet.com/~moki/20030126.073208/doubleXendXcapX.jpg .
> > The idea is to construct a very simple pressure hull out of two
torispherical endcaps. The conning "tower" is made out of a standard line
pipe with a little overdimensioned wallthickness and the smallest possible
diameter. The endcaps are made with a small cilindrical section on it but i
am afraid that the tower will intersect with the torispherical part.
> > In order to keep it simple i chose a very common steel for the endcaps.
It is P265GH (yield strenght 265 n/mm^2, 38500 psi, tensile strenght 410
n/mm^2, 59500 psi). This is an "off the shelf" material at Afflerbach, the
german manufacturer. I think you could call it soft boiler steel.
> > To calculate the strenght of it (apart from the conningtower and
viewports) one can use the formulas for a sphere, using the dishing radius
of the endcap (in this case 1040 mm). Maybe it is my age, to much alcohol or
lack of intelligence but watever method i use (ABS, Lloyd's or an old
pressure vessel codebook) i get different outcommings. Can anyone of you say
something sensible on this? I am considdering a wallthickness of 12 mm,
divingdepth 100 mtr?
> > If it is ever going to be build it will be tested unmanned to a depth
50% more than its safe working depth. Should it collapse i will hold no one
responsible for that. So please be free to give your advise.

> > Thank you very much,
> >
> > Thijs Struijs

> Deze e-mail is door E-mail VirusScanner van Planet Internet gecontroleerd
op virussen.
> Op http://www.planet.nl/evs staat een verwijzing naar de actuele lijst
waar op wordt gecontroleerd.