Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] FWD: CNN Breaking News

Peter, I let math do the talking.  I beleive we have lost a total of 16
astronauts on the job.  3 in Apollo 11 (I think, not sure about the
mission ID and the number of 'nauts), 6 on the Challenger in 1986, and
this Flight, 7.  Now find the total number of missions and 'nauts
involved (add the number of 'nauts together, even the multiple mission
'nauts) and then divide the number lost by that number.  Example- if a
total of 1,500 astronaut-missions (i.e. if Robert Crippen, of the first
shuttle mission, had seven missions, he'd count as seven A-M instead of
one), the number would be 16/1,500 = .010666667.  Since I don't have the
total number of astronaut missions, I can't accurately figure it out.

Anyhow, in the end it means that even with the terrible losses we have
had, the overall safety of space travel clearly out does driving your
car down the street to the store.
JMHO,
Carl
a huge fan of Crippen

--
"You delight not in a city's seven or seventy wonders, but in an answer
it gives to a question of yours, or the question it asks you, forcing