[PSUBS-MAILIST] Modular PSUB

      Pipeline pipe, Flanges, Etc are bolted together reliably.  Pipes as
large as 56" or large have bolted fittings.

I think it would be an assett to be able to split the subin half to work on
the internals if req'd.  I wouldn't think one would do that very often (or
ever) but it would be far better than having to cut it apart and weld it
back together.  The bolts could be on the inside where they could be easily
inspected, the flange would serve as a stiffener, and it wouldn't hamper
the streamlining of the out side if the pressure hull is actually the
outside, and it isn't encased in a ballast tank.

For a modular sub all the stiffeners could be (but wouldn't have to be)
flanges.  A face seal O-ring seal can withstand 5000 psi (340 atm,)

Jay.