RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] OSS spec sheet

I like... it's a BIG boat.. Now the question is.. is the budget reasonable, as are the dimentions...

A boat theat 2x4 meters is going to be a little funny in the handling department.  While 2x8 is pretty reasonable.  Are you suggesting a pressure hull 2m in diameter?  That's a LOT of room to workin.  Possiably enough to even make the boat quite streamlined with most of the equipment inside the hull.  Though realisticly if I build a boat it won't be for another 5-10 years down the road... I'm a bit of a speed freak, and a streamlined boat means extended underwater crossings.  (I live on lake michigan.. I have a lot of deep water to play in)

I can forsee some risks and benifits involved with the everythign inside the hull tactic.  With everything inside the hull, if you have a failure of a major sort... your'e trapped with it.  If you have a failure of a minor sort, you have a chance of fixing it.  course that works both ways.  With things like batterys and compressed air tanks outside the hull you gain stability (assuming they are placed intelegently)  but loose the ability to fix things if things go wrong.  Perhaps a regulator frosting over, or a battery cable working loose.

Personally I'm fond of redundant sensor systems.  Digital electronics lends itself readily to this.  I find analog pressure guages both fine and dandy but a through hull properly bedded and 4 wires going through it makes me a lot less nervous than a pipe penetrating the hull filled with oil or seawater.....  I find that to be a healthy dose of paranoia.  not to let things get to out of hand and have 14 backups for everything.

I agree entirely about most of your requireds...  Drop ballast is a must. Running without that is on the order of flying an untested aircraft without a parachute.  but... the trim tanks could use a little discussion.  The only trim you need is enough at the forward end of the boat to bring the hull level.  From my understanding this is often done with lead weights that are kept in the hull at all times.  Store them below the CB and design for say... a 300lb pilot.  Move lead as necessary to achive proper trim.    At that point you'd only need a smallish tank with ONE control on it (versus a coupple tanks...  simplicity!) to acieve depth neutrality or other states of floatation.  I'm also one to assume this boat is going to have largeish ballast tanks fore and aft a-la the kitteridge subs for enough boyancy on the surface....

(I know I sould like I"m getting ahead here...  but I'm trying to have everyone come to some kind of conclusion of what form this is going to take...  is it going to be a research vessel, or a somewhat stylish boat...)