[PSUBS-MAILIST] Compressed air battery? Homemade lead-acid?

Compressed air scares me... I've had two very scary experiences with hpa...  And from my understanding i'ts not quite as efficant as storing energy in a battery.

though this homemade lead-acid battery deal seems to be a viable option.  Two big worrys though.  Hydrogen production.  Otherwise...  making them can't be more expensive than buying them.  And heck we could probaly get better cell density if we define what shape the cells are ;-)