Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] gauge questions

Alec,

I was just making something for my depth gauge that may be of interest to
you.

I have my depth gauges piped in with stainless tubing from the upper part of
my sub.  The line comes thought the hull up high, through an emergency
shutoff, then down through a T,  through two primary shut offs and then to
the gauges.  I have two gauges.  One is low pressure for accurate depth
readings when diving shallow and one of higher pressure for deeper dives.
Each gauge can be shut off independently.

I live in a northern climate and was concerned with water being trapped in
the lines and freezing.  Instead of letting water get into the gauges, I've
decided to build a stainless housing that has a three inch rubber diaphragm
on it.  This diaphragm assembly screws on the outside of the through hull
that is connected to my gauges.  My diaphragm has one side totally exposed
to the water.  I'll completely fill the gauges and lines with oil.  The
housing with the diaphragm, located on the outside of the hull, will also be
totally filled with oil.

When the sea water presses against the diaphragm, the diaphragm will put
pressure on the oil and be sensed on the gauge inside the hull.  But water
will never enter the system.  It's built but I haven't tried it yet.   Hope
you can follow my description.  Water presses on the diaphragm, the other
side of the diaphragm presses on the oil, and the oil pressure works the
gauges.

Just starting my wiring.  Nothing seems to fit where I would like to have
it!!!!!  BIG wires in small spaces!

Dan H.