Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] To: Ray Keefer from George--re: Looking for info on a sep...

In a message dated 12/11/2002 11:36:09 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Ray.Keefer@Sun.COM writes:

<<
   Hello Ray, I am trying to  locate whereabouts and/or info on a specific
 submersible. The sub is a 2 or 3 person one-atmosphere dry sub, with 2 large
 oval shaped windows at fron,4 round small porthole type windows on sides,and
 a horizontally oval shaped window at rear. The sub has one motor/prop ,,an
 elevator and rudder at rear as well as prop at rear. The sub has a single
 hatch at top toward the forward area,is orange color,and has been seen in
 many episodes of the Flipper TV series ,especially during the 70's.

  There was
 also an earlier model that was white color and ambient pressure with an exit
 open hatch at bottom toward the front and a large metal prop screen at rear.
 The sub was also in the movie-"Hello Down There--starring Tony Randal",and
 was in movie-,i think the title was _" Around The World Beneath The
 Sea"-starring Lloyd Bridges. It amazes me that the maker of this sub didn't
 simply improve an already working and proven model and market it. If anyone
 out there has any info of locating this sub,owner or contact person,they can
 e-mail-George at : George4USA@aol.com.   I live in Florida,and this is
 Scubaville USA. Keep up the good work and thanks.  Great website
 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just so happens I know the approximate whereabouts of the sub in question. It
is more or less dead center between Bimini and Miami at the bottom of the
Gulf Stream. Jordan Klein owned it, and worked with Ivan Tors during the
Flipper and other television projects. The sub was dropped on deck during a
recovery one day toward the end of filming on the Primus series (short lived,
Peter Brown starred). The hull was pretty badly bent underneath, so to
celebrate, they shoved it over the stern on the way home and toasted its
demise. That is the one with the oval front and back windows, by the way. I
think the other one wasn't a real sub, but a mock-up, and has probably gone
the way of the do-do as well. Jordan told me this story himself, when I was
in Miami about 500 years ago to purchase an Amersub 300 from him. Sorry, no
happy endings.
Best Regards,
Vance Bradley