From: Dan h
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 5:01 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] warning for smyth

Jacob,

Ok, you got my attention.
Well now that you have it, follow up with how a repair should be done.  Although I'm not a certified welder myself, I have been in charge of a weld shop for a few years in my past and have spent some time in the shade of a welding hood myself.  With the exception of sometimes using a plasma torch or an air arc, grinding out a defective weld and replacing it with with a good one is the only way I know of to make a repair.

Is there another method Im not aware of?

You threw up a "red flag" but haven't described how to deal with it.

Dan H.

Jacob Lauser wrote:

ATTENTION ALEC SMYTH: Alec, It was great to see your progress on the SOLO sub, but I read something that caused me great concern for your safety, so if you're listening, please pay attention! I'm sorry to post this over the list, but I didn't have your e-mail address at hand. In your description from August 29th, you mentioned a few things needing attention and in one you said "grinding out small welding flaws in the hull". I don't want to be an alarmist, and perhaps someone else has brought it to your attention (hopefully), but you should NEVER EVER EVER EVER grind on a weld. It will weaken the weld and can seriously endanger your submarining efforts if it is on the pressure hull. I say this only to keep you safe. I can only imagine, not that I particularly want to, what could happen to a weakened pressure hull weld at depth. Please be careful since it looks like such a cool sub and I wouldn't want anything to happen to the operator. Good luck and keep working hard! - Jacob Lauser  University of Arizona Student Underwater Bouyancy System Initiative (UASUBSI)