[PSUBS-MAILIST] warning for smyth

ATTENTION ALEC SMYTH:

Alec,

It was great to see your progress on the SOLO sub, but I read something that caused me great concern for your safety, so if you're listening, please pay attention! I'm sorry to post this over the list, but I didn't have your e-mail address at hand.

In your description from August 29th, you mentioned a few things needing attention and in one you said "grinding out small welding flaws in the hull". I don't want to be an alarmist, and perhaps someone else has brought it to your attention (hopefully), but you should NEVER EVER EVER EVER grind on a weld. It will weaken the weld and can seriously endanger your submarining efforts if it is on the pressure hull. I say this only to keep you safe. I can only imagine, not that I particularly want to, what could happen to a weakened pressure hull weld at depth. Please be careful since it looks like such a cool sub and I wouldn't want anything to happen to the operator. Good luck and keep working hard!

- Jacob Lauser
  University of Arizona Student Underwater Bouyancy System Initiative (UASUBSI)