[PSUBS-MAILIST] Battery Desulfation

Hello All,
      I have been doing some research on ways of extending lead-acid batter
life, or in some cases, bringing a "dead" battery back to useful
life.  Reading the literature, it seems that the biggest culprit of battery
failure is lead sulfate crystals forming on the battery plates.  Even
batteries with a constant trickle charge suffer from sulfation.
     What I have seen on the net seems very interesting.  There appears to
be two methods of dealing with sulfation.  The first involves a variety of
different types of chargers that pulse the battery with a high-current
spike causing the natural resonate frequency of the battery to be driven
much like plucking a guitar string.  This resonate action causes the
sulfate crystals to break lose and fall free of the plates.  Another method
employs a complex organic salt, most simply called EDTA, to be added to
each cell.  This material pulls the lead out of the sulfate allowing the
crystals to go back into solution.
     I have ordered some EDTA and plan to test it in two of my sub
batteries.  I have also constructed a simple electronic desulfator (not my
design) that I found on the net.  It seems to be working from preliminary
testing but I have not see what it can do on a battery to increase its stamina.
     If anyone is interested I suggest looking at the follow sites.  If you
scroll down and look for the "original article" from home power magazine,
the schematics should be there.

Electronic Desulfator shown below:
http://www.phantombooks.com/desulf.htm

Some articles on EDTA are shown below:
http://www.kopico.com/y2k/edta_specs.htm
http://www.webspawner.com/users/trailheadsupply/
http://pureresearch.co.uk/

     Please note that I am NOT endorsing EDTA or the desulfator shown in
the articles.  I have no idea if they have a downside or if they are even
effective, but if you have a sub or plan to have one, you might want to
read some of the literature.  I plan to make some more posts when I know more.

Gary Boucher