Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] CAD packages

     I agree with Sean completely, but the learning curve for Mech Desk Top
/ Inventor Solid Works, PRO E is quite steep.

I also switch to AutoCAD from Inventor for layouts.
We paid $1605.00 to upgrade AutoCAD to Inventor, which was a good deal at
the time.  I think AutoCad is about $3000.00  so Inventor would be about
$4500.00.

You can probably get a used copy of LT for a reasonable price.
The ability to make dxf is very usefull because you can do layouts for hull
shapes that need rolling and then get them CNC laser or flame cut so that
once rolled they will fit properly.

Thanks,

J. Barlow CET
Sr. Mechanical Designer
BJ Pipeline Inspection

Ph  (403) 531-5412
Fax (403) 236-8740
Cell (403) 807-2195

                    "Sean T. Stevenson"
                    <sts@telus.net>                   To:     personal_submersibles@psubs.org, Ray Keefer <Ray.Keefer@Sun.COM>
                    Sent by:                          cc:
                    owner-personal_submersibles       Subject:     Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] CAD packages
                    @psubs.org

                    12/09/2002 05:51 PM
                    Please respond to
                    personal_submersibles

Best, or cheapest?

I am using Mechanical Desktop 6.0 and Inventor 5.3, and am currently beta
testing Inventor 6.0 (all Autodesk packages, and all in the several
thousand
dollar range).  Packages such as Pro/E and CATIA are in a class by
themselves,
but outside the reach of the casual CAD user.  These tools are fantastic
for
solid and surface modelling, as would be encountered in submarine design
(Graham Hawkes' deep flight prototype was created with Inventor).  For
simple
2D schematics, such as wiring diagrams and hydraulic schematics, 2D
packages
such as AutoCAD (or AutoCAD LT, etc.) are actually quicker, and I switch to

these when creating such drawings.

I haven't used any of the budget packages you refer to, but have heard
feedback
from others who have tested them.  The general consensus is that there is
very
little functional difference between programs, and that your choice comes
down
to user interface and convenience of purchase.

Do whatever you can to procure a copy of Inventor.  Failing that, I think
that
any program you choose should be capable of creating anything you need in
2D,
and exportable to DXF and other standard formats.

-Sean