Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Catching up and other....

I thought that this question was asking how to find the best value to use for
the width of the unrolled cylinder wall.  If this is to be a rectangular piece
(such as might be burned on a CNC table), the ideal width will fall somewhere
between the outer and inner circumferences of the finished hull.  If the hull
wall is thin, it doesn't really matter, and one can just use the average
between the two.  A thicker cylinder wall requires using the correct radius in
the formula, according to how the bending is going to be performed.  Any
rolling or bending operation will have a theoretical neutral axis which is
subject neither to compression or tension during the bend.  Based on the
material, and the machine used to form the cylinder, the ideal unrolled width
will be the circumference of the theoretical circle which lies on that neutral
axis.

-Sean