Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Acrylic

Polymethyl Methacrylate, commonly known as acrylic is sold under various
brand names: Lucite, Plexiglas, and Polycast.
It is half the weight of glass and 17 times more impact resistant, which
makes it good for aircraft canopies, and in our case, psubs.
You will want the cell cast variety, rather than the extruded, although the
extruded varieties are getting better these days (additives).
The typical thickness of the  cell cast is .025 up to like 5". I've seen 6"
acrylic, but I don't remember the details.
The extruded variety is easier to thermoform, but the cell cast can be done
as well.
Thermoforming should be performed at ~275 degrees F, not to exceed 360
degrees F. Above that and you get blistering and burning, and it gives off
flammable gases.
You can get acrylic preshrunk, which makes the part more stable and
stronger.
Scratch resistant varieties are avaliable, and UV stabilizers are available.
I bought 1/2" acrylic a few years ago, and it cost me around $6.00 a square
foot.
Hope this Helps,
Suds