From: <SeaLordOne@aol.com>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2002 9:29 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] intentions

> Shipmates,
>
> I understand Roger's frustration, going to any site and finding lots of
stuff you don't want,and very little of the stuff you do want.  My thoughts
are that the most positive reaction to that might be to (1) stop reading
threads you are weary of, and (2) start making the sorts of posts that you
yourself would like to see.

> I would prefer not to see anyone complaining about threads on Psubs.  To
me, a thread should run on until it dies a natural death from lack of
interest (or is shut down by Ray for inappropriate content).  If two or
three guys want to talk about rocket engines for their psubs for three
months, I recommend that we let them do that.  We don't complain, we simply
delete those threads each day if we are not interested.  It seems
unreasonable to me to expect every psubber to be interested in every posting
on every thread.  I always "prune" my messages of threads that no longer
interest me before I begin reading them.  I personally would prefer to have
an "inclusive" rather than an "exclusive" outlook on content.  Even if I am
too busy to read a thread right now, I may want to read it a year from now
by digging back into the archives.  I want those archives to be as inclusive
as possible.

> As to looking for a location where a current builder can routinely compare
notes with several other experienced builders, wow, that would be a dream
come true.  I would love it if Psubs.org could evolve into such a site some
day in the future, but I suspect we are years away from that.  How many
folks have built even one psub, let alone several?  We have a tiny number of
what I call "Jedi Masters": Phil, Pat, Carsten, etc.  We have folks who have
built kit boats.  But I think that we are years away from having a large
pool of experienced expertise at our fingertips.  Today we have only a small
pool, who are trying to build their own subs and help others at the same
time.  They are real heros...but they are in short supply.  Psubs.org is the
closest thing I have ever seen to such a site, but I think we have a lot of
growing to do to make Roger's dream a reality.

> If you want to see practical tips on the site, I recommend that you begin
to post them.  If you want to see wild theoretical stuff on the site, I
recommend that you post it.  I recommend that each of you post what you want
to see, and allow others the freedom to post what they want to see.