Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] little sub brother again

Vance,
   In the ocean abyss, under most conditions, this is
true. However, I recall in '96, I belive, one of the
Russian Mir submersubles got caught in the mud at
about 4k, while doing a survey on an underwater
volcanic vent in the Arctic ocean. They were trapped
for some 40 hours, and required the second Mir sub to
come and blow the mud loose with prop wash before
being freed.
   Worse yet, and much more likely, the bottoms of
many relatively shallow lakes are ALL mud, and with
only a small over control event, one could use the
downward inertia of even a small rig to put it into
the muck. If anyone thinks this is not a very real
possibility, I would invite them to spend a day in the
waters of the Tennessee River system with me. I can
show you a hundred such areas just hear in north
Alabama. More in the surrounding states. Don't let the
usually hardish bottom of REALLY deep salt water be
the only point of comparison. Fresh water will likely
be the end diving local of many of our subs. It is a
different environment entirely.
   Just my little bit of falling sky.

=====
Dewey R. Mason II