Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] H2O2 combustion chamber

The 2 US Nuke subs lost to date are the Thresher and the Scorpion. One, I
don't remember which one, supposedly had a silver soldered seawater fitting
(small diameter) that ruptured. After the accident, all subs were
retrofitted with welded fittings. I don't know whether this is in any
documentation, but I was told this by a number of ex navy nukes who were on
other subs at the time. As Vance can attest, the Nuclear power industry is
comprised of a large number of people from the Navy nuclear program. In
fact, the commercial pressurized water reactors (PWRs) were designed around
Admiral Rickover's nuclear sub propulsion plants.
You can imagine the stories that I have heard over the last 25 years from
these guys. Some are unbelievable to "civilians".
The other sub that went down was covered with a lot of mystery, and there
were rumors...???

Anyway, after hearing from both sides of the coin about the safety of H2O2,
let me say this:
The primary concern with H2O2 is the amount of Oxygen generated as a result
of it coming into contact with its catalyst (silver, etc.).
I understand that in a complex system, where leakage into confined spaces is
a possibility, this can pose a problem.
My approach is a very basic system of an H2O2 container isolated from the
pressure hull; the surrounding of which is seawater. Any breach of the
container integrity would allow the H2O2 to escape to seawater, not be
contained in a space where the O2 could react with other substances.
Obviously, the module containing the reaction chamber and H2O2 would be
isolated from the pilot except for control connections.
I really don't want to go into a lot more details; it will all be in my
white paper.
I guess the only thing I can say at this point is that we'll have to see
whether I am right or not, and whether it is safe. Testing will determine
that,
Suds