[PSUBS-MAILIST] saltwater battery

I was looking for rechargeable batteries and tripped over this idea.
Saltwater batteries, they are used currently for air delivered torpedo's.
After further research I found the idea in the patient office. basically
theres a plate of magnesium and a plate of  silver-chloride. saltwater is
the electrolyte the battery only works while it submerged, rinse it with
freshwater and it shuts off. the design projection I saw indicated that, if
fresh saltwater was flowing thru it, a battery would run until the plates
broke down. this could take day or week or months depending on battery
design. each cell delivers 1.7 volts a bank of 8 could yeild 12 volts. I'm
thinking of building a prototype diver assist unit with one of these
batteries as its power source.
If anyone wants info I can find the links.

Bob D