Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Pressure Hulls

Hi Alec,

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002 15:58:33 -0400
Alec Smyth <Asmyth@changepoint.com> wrote:

> Ian,
>
> I looked up sphere calculations in Allmendiger and found two similar
> equations. Note that both formulas assume Poisson's ration = 0.3, which I
> interpret to mean only use them for calculations with steel.
>
> a) The first equation is derived theoretically:
>
> p = 1.21*E*(t/R)^2
>
> where:
>
> E = modulus of elasticity in compression
> t = shell thickness
> R = radius to midplane of shell
>
> b) The second equation is empirical:
>
> p = 0.84*E*(t/R0)^2
>
> where R0 = outside radius

The ABS book has a formula similar to this, but the constant,
0.84, is replaced with:

0.84 = (2 / SQR(3 * ( 1 - v^2)))

where v = Poisson's ratio.
It is refered to as "linear classical buckling pressure".

> I'm at a bit of a loss on this discrepancy. Any ideas?

They are calculating different type/modes (I think) of
sphere failure.

The ABS books goes on to calculate the pressure limit of
a sphere buy the following method:

When Pes/Pys > 1

  Pcs = 0.7391 * SQR(1 + (Pys / (0.3 * Pes))^2)

When Pes/Pys =< 1

  Pcs = 0.2124 * Pes / Pys

Where Pes = Classical linear buckling pressure (Given above)
      Pys = Yield pressure (The one I quoted orginially)
      Pcs = limit pressure

The ABS book then goes on to calculate the maximum
allowable working pressure as

  P = Pcs * 0.67

P being the maximum working pressure.

Warning: I've distilled down what the ABS book said on the
topic of spherical pressure vessels for the purpose of this
discusion.  Besides the typos I might have introduced, this
is my interpretation and is no substitution ABS book.

I like the idea of calculating the working and/or crush depth
of the subs in the Busby book to check a formula's validity.

Ian

--
The moon ate the sun on Monday and it was an awsome sight to see.