RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Pressure Hulls

Ian,

I looked up sphere calculations in Allmendiger and found two similar
equations. Note that both formulas assume Poisson's ration = 0.3, which I
interpret to mean only use them for calculations with steel.

a) The first equation is derived theoretically:

p = 1.21*E*(t/R)^2

where:

E = modulus of elasticity in compression
t = shell thickness
R = radius to midplane of shell

WARNING: It mentions that in practice, due to variations in sphericity and
shell thickness spheres tend to collapse at much lower pressures than those
calculated... as much as one-fourth the pressure.

b) The second equation is empirical:

p = 0.84*E*(t/R0)^2

where R0 = outside radius

Now for comparing results:

The two equations are very similar, with the second one being more
conservative. But the numbers I get are about an order of magnitude above
what Pat got using your ABS formula. I used

E = 29,000,000 lbs/in2
t = 1"
R0 = 54"
R = 53.5"

Which gives a result of 12,259 psi for (a) and 8,353 psi for (b), while Pat
got a more reasonable 1,111 psi. I think my results are obviously incorrect,
yet the only obvious way I can see to bring down the values is that I might
be using an incorrect value for E. Yet I checked that in several sources. E
= 2,900,000 would give a nice result, but the units don't jibe.

I'm at a bit of a loss on this discrepancy. Any ideas?

thanks,

Alec