[PSUBS-MAILIST] Hulls, Hulls and More Hulls.....

Hey All,
   I did contact those folks again today. I found
9'8", 1/2' thick aluminum is the size and material on
the spheres. The cylindrical short tanks(8-10' ODx
10-16' lnth) are the S.S. tanks. They also have a
large selection of high tensile carbon tanks(one alloy
was given as 212). All of these are inners, as part of
double walled cryo setups. The lead tech for the Co.
said they are tightly controlled, and that the
pressure is maintained below critical levels that
would stress the metal by a burst disc in every
system. He also stated that the inners are untouched
since their fabrication, due to the outer shell, and a
deep layer of hard insulation. These are H.P.V.s
working at -100 degrees F. They must be shielded from
impact, abrupt temp variances, over pressure stress,
ect. or they will fail, due to the extreme cold. The
strength of the metals falls off at -90 or so, and
working temps go down to -400 and slightly below. He
told me (we talked for an hour)that these are not
subject to the same types of stress and impact
potential as propane tanks, as they are documented in
the checking and maintenance.
   At these prices, we could afford to get a big one.
H.T. steel, with half domed endcaps, that is 1.25"
thick, 10' O.D., and 35-40' long. Anybody care to take
a shot at where it may fail? I also need to know how
much (ballpark) depth can be gained with max
reinforcement? Any reason one cannot use inner rings,
with cross braces, and also use linear ribs outside,
with cross-members offset from those inside to add
extra rigidity?
   Who has thoughts on the difference between these
and propane tanks? They have the material specs, know
stress limits, ect. This does ease my mind (somewhat)
about their possible use as hulls.
   Moreover, would anyone maybe want one? We are
discussing them donating some to T.D.P.F. as a tax
write off. If they do, we would probably be able to
pass some on REALLY! cheap (read well below scrap
price) and still be legal as a fund raising measure.
We can't give them, as the legal aspects won't allow
that, but we can come pretty damned close.
   Enough of my rambling for now.

=====
Dewey R. Mason II
The Deep Past Foundation