From: Daniel Lance
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Sunday, June 23, 2002 11:53 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re:SUBSAFE

To All current and aspiring Psub builders and operators,
I think SAFETY and PRUDENCE are very important points that should be really taken to heart. As "Tech" divers kill themselves in ever increasing numbers, that sport moves closer to more intrusive regulation. If we all had to certify our subs with ABS (at$10,000.00 to $20,000.00 a throw) and operate under expanded U.S. Coast Guard regulations, How long do you think this would be a viable sport? We don't have the membership base to create a DEMA or an EAA. We could easily be regulated right out of existance. Private aviation is a perfect example. If the EAA hadn't lobbied for the Experimental class, How many people could afford to own a plane of the  FAA certified type?( ie Cessna ,Piper etc) you get the point . I am new to the Psub website but not new to sub building and pressure vessels. I have 23 years experience as a Boilermaker. I am not bringing this point up to be arrogant or condecending, I am bringing it up because as i look thru the archives and read the current chat some of it it very  unsettling. Example:"Using A36 Steel for a sub pressure hull " a definate no no. That person needs to do some more homework. I fully realize that alot of the chatter is just idle fantasy and will probably never be acted upon, thats ok, thats what life is all about. But if the 1% or 2% of the scary ideas are carried out. That worries Me . I have a sizeable investment in my sub and i would like to use it for more than a shop ornament.
 If your thinking of building a sub read  " Manned Submersibles", ABS or Loylds of London (Rules for submersibles and diving systems) , and ASME manuals for PVHO. If you find some or all of this information overwhelming seek out someone who does understand it and FOLLOW their advice.  If you don't, you can and will get hurt and also ruin it for the rest of us! Just because you can cobble something together to save money doesn't mean you should.
Well enough ranting, I am by no means an expert but if someone needs help i would happy to help them or steer them in the direction of somebody who can. Small Manned Submersibles have had a good safety record up till now, let's keep it that way!
Dam Lance