From: Dan h
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2002 7:56 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Reply to SUBSAFE

Bob,

Get a copy of ASTM's, PVHO, Pressure Vessel for Human Occupation.  In it, you will find some details and design parameters for view ports, flat and hemis.  It doesn't have actual working drawings but design guidelines.

On another subject, I too agree with the group about Psub safety.   How I got started in my adventure was from an airline magazine that ran an article about the mini subs Captain George Kittredge was building in Maine.  That was about sixteen years ago.  I knew I could build one but wasn't confident about designing one with enough safety and performance to suit me.  I visited the Kittredge factory and bought plans for a K-250 back then.  As most plans sold, they sat around for years.  Fifteen years later, a year and a half ago, I decided it was time to build.  This time a K-350.  Right now I'm about two thirds through the project.

I used a proven design and followed it to the letter for the hull and anything safety related.  There are plenty of other parts of a sub that can be customized to make it personal.  I'm sure this approach isn't for everyone but it's a way to get a good working design, be relatively safe, and end up with a sub you can enjoy.

My two cents worth,  Dan H

Hi Harry, I'm with you!  It's look, listen, learn and draw for now.  I did post some very primative design ideas at http:www.compustyle.net/psub/ , but, I have already decided to put those on hold until I learn more - much more, and then start with an ambient pressure sub first. Speaking of learning, anyone out there got a picture of an Acrylic Hemispherical Viewport and how it is designed.  I am trying to picture the seal structure in my mind and on paper, and a pic of a manufactured Hemi would help a lot. Bob T.