[PSUBS-MAILIST] Different Propulsions thrust

Hello Everyone,

With all of these talks about pressure-compensating electric motors, i have started to ponder
the different kind of propulsion systems that can be used in a submarine.  Many types come to
mind (i.e. : open-water propeller, shrouded-props., jet-ski turbine(?),etc) and each have their
pros & cons.  My question is this:  how can i calculate(estimate) the power each type can give
to a sub and the speed difference gained/lost to each type.  I am assuming that each of these
system are hooked on the same motor, for ease of design consideration.

I'm guessing that the water displacement(volume) is what makes the difference here,  am i right?

Marcus

The great tragedy of science - the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an
ugly fact. - T H Huxley (English scientist, 1887-1975)