From: Doc
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Saturday, June 15, 2002 1:48 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Mini Nautilus Minisub

Hi Pat

No, the only part of the Syntactic Foam that is curing is the resin the macro / micro glass spheres
are suspended in.

The macro spheres are about 1/2" in diameter and are filled with a polystyrene foam, they have a
thin glass shell and are remarkably tough little suckers.
The micro spheres are microscopic glass bubbles that have the consistency of fine powder that flows
like a liquid. It's cool stuff but when airborne it's really nasty. You always want to be wearing a respirator
when mixing this stuff.

Its kind of like mixing concrete, figure the macro / micro glass spheres are the
sand and gravel and the resin and catalyst is the water and cement.

 It's best to mix your resin on the cool side to give you enough working time.

Doc

Captain Nemo wrote:

Hi Doc, But does SYNTACTIC FOAM need to be cured at high (3-400 degrees F) temperatures: i.e., in an "oven"? Pat