RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Ballast ratio to subs weight?

does it have the reinforced steel bands?

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org
[mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org]On Behalf Of Bob Decker
Sent: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 9:41 AM
To: 'personal_submersibles@psubs.org'
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Ballast ratio to subs weight?

Graham
I assume these side tanks will be bottom venting open ballast tanks,
simailer to U boats. if so first you will need to calculate total
displacement of sub with your current concept ballast tank included and full
of air. the dispacement weight should be less then the volume weight(+ 25%
for saftey) of the water the sub displaces.if the sub weighs more,increase
ballast tank size and recalculate. then caculate displacement weight without
the air in tanks to see if sub weighs more then the water. you can never
have too much extra bouyance in your ballast tank. one suggestion. think of
lining ballast tank with an nylon ripstop air blatter, like a diver DC unit.
You never know you what could happen. if you find your self upside-down your
ballast tanks would still work. the pipe thickness you described for the
hull should be good to 500 or 600 ft, the ballast tank may be thicker then
you need. unless you need the weight for displacement. as a note the sub I
designed has a 3/8" thick hull with a crush depth of 800ft and a working
depth of 250Ft. I also would suggest building 2 hulls, one to test and crush
and one to use.
Good luck.

Bob Decker