Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] cubic feet / gallons conversion

In a message dated 4/21/02 9:27:09 PM EST, coalbunny@onewest.net writes:

<< Charles, a gallon is a gallon is a gallon is a gallon.  regardless of
 the liquid you put in it- gasoline, JP-4, nitroglycerine, mercury,
 uranium hexaflouride, or water.  The weight of the gallon is a different
 story.  Water is around 8 or so pounds per gallon.  I don't know about
 mercury or JP-4. >>

I agree...I just don't think that a gallon of all fluids can be converted to
cubic feet equally...Is a cubic measurement of liquid nitrogen the same as a
cubic measurement for boiling water?  It just seems like their being at
oppossite sides of the spectrum creates a lot of room for question.  I know
that all different densities will weigh different,(mercury is about 32lbs per
8 ounces) but were not discussing weight, instead, we are looking at volume.
It doesn't seem right that's all.

Charles