Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Buying a Russian sub

Someday (hopefully) everyone will realize that smaller is better. If you
really had millions of dollars to buy several OLD decommissioned subs, you
would be much better off to buy or build something much smaller, more
manageable.

 Just think how much it would cost to dry dock a 300' boat.

Here's an exiting thought: how much would it cost to paint a military sub
with something like antifouling paint?
Let's say the diameter is 40', circumference ~125', one gallon would paint
~2 linear feet, or ~150 gallons per coat (2 coats at least), $100 /gallon
for the cheap stuff = $30,000. (I'm sure you'll want to paint it yourself,
and that you've got a brush). Let's say you could roll out 125 sqft in 1
hour, you only need 600 hours labor to paint it. Or you could start paying
for professional labor at $75 / hr.

Another amusing thing to contemplate: how much would batteries cost for the
beast? More than a decomm sub cost.

Basically, why would anyone want an old,huge worn out problem that a
government thinks they can't afford?

JP