Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Electric engine control

At 23:57 -0500 3/21/02, MarkR1970@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 3/21/2002 8:45:51 PM Central Standard Time,
>psub_only_temporary@hotmail.com writes:
>
><< The only question I have is this, is there any damage or undue stress
>caused to the electric motor to this constant on-off switching?  I'm not a
>big fan of technology, so thank you John for your simple explanation.
>  >>

>Actually PWM controllers are considerably easier on electric motors than
>reostats. Reostats reduce the voltage and cause considerable heat build up at
>low speeds and powers.

I've never quite gotten this. Why does a lower voltage cause heat build up?

You hear this all the time, about guys with power tools, like table saws, running at the end of really long extension cords. The voltage drop over all that distance is considerable, and the motor burns up. Why?

In case nobody's mentioned it, a demonstration that this (PWM) is the way to go, would be that (I think) most of the consumer trolling motors have such controllers.

And finally, why would anybody who's "not a big fan of technology" want to build a submarine?
--

David
buchner@wcta.net - MN, USA